Friday, June 8, 2012

Longing of my heart

Events unfold everyday. It was an ordinary day. I woke up feeling refreshed in my temporary shelter. I really felt blessed because a friend opened her home to us. It was an assignment given to me a month before my wedding. While waiting for my turn to use the bathroom, I browsed some magazines. I have read about an article narrating someone's experience about her mom's passing away. She made vivid accounts on specific dates and on how she and her siblings were able to cope of letting go. From the time her mom was diagnosed of cancer, the confinement in the hospital and the mornings when they have to clean their mother, she gave her personal thoughts and emotions. I felt pity for the author until my phone rang. It was my sister informing me that our father had suffered stroke. He was driving our tricycle and was seen near the city roundball (roundabout. I can't believe what she told me. My co-worker suddenly advised me to go on leave so that I could attend to my father's condition. I rushed home but while I was riding the bus, my mind was roaming and circling to the thought of my father. I prayed silently while waiting for the bus to reach my destination. I met my father in the hospital but he was no longer awake. I patted him gently and introduced myself. But I got no answer. My heart was throbbing fast. We rushed him to another hospital hoping that he could be diagnosed and treated effectively but it only lasted more than a day when he breathed his last. I only realized later that what I was reading had prepared me to face the dim reality of death. We spent a week for my father's wake. Relatives and and friends condoled our grieving hearts. I have fond thoughts of my father and how he is supposed to attend my wedding but he's no longer with us. It cannot and will not be possible already. Time can be slow but it was during those final moments of my father that I felt time paced fast. Events unfold everyday. It may surprise us, inspire us and cheer us. It may also break us. But in every situation, I know that God is with us. My heart still longs for my father.

No comments: