Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Breaking Far











Visiting Thailand was one of the trips I am so grateful. It did not only let me experience to sojourn in a foreign land for the very first time but it also opened an opportunity for me to see the bigger picture of the world and the bigger picture of my family tree.
It was my first time to wander in a place of different culture, language and beliefs, my first time to see and ride a real elephant, my first time to eat dragon fruit, my first time to travel internationally, my first time to see a real tiger, my first time to see a tamed crocodile and so many firsts. I am amused to hear people greet "sawadikap" or "sawadika" everytime they see each other. Such gesture was a sign of respect. I've met some new friends and acquaintance too from different places.
Indeed, the world was bigger than I perceived it to be. Far from my native land was a different world, having a different currency - Thailand Baht, a left traffic orientation and a monarchy. Dawn, my niece and I visited some of their tourist attractions - floating market where traders exchange goods in the river, samphran elephant ground where elephants dance, play soccer and entertain tourists, King's park where families can gather and enjoy the scenic landscape. We watched a colorful cultural presentation showcasing Thailand's culture and traditions and a thrilling crocodile show. Thailand is a progressive country. It has lots of infrastructures and it's keeping pace with technology.
More important than any other things, I have met some of my relatives for the first time - Ate Evelyn, my cousin is working together with her sister Ate Erlyn in an Adventist International School. They had with them their immediate family allowing me to meet my nieces and nephews personally. They are well-educated and doing good in school. I met Ranjan, Ate Evelyn's husband. He is a good family man and has raised his family close together.
Time was so short for a very interesting vacation. We bid farewell but my travel has given me a wonderful experience that I will always reminisce in my memory. It was a realization of my dream to have a break in a different country and yes, dreams do come true.

No comments: