Thursday, October 30, 2008

everyday is a blessing






Indeed. It is said that life is like a mist. It can disappear at any time. Such thought can make me feel shiver. What if God will take me now? Will I 'live happily ever after' in heaven?

'Todos los santos', 'Araw ng mga patay', Halloween or All saints day is fast approaching. That would be two days from now. Here in my country, it is celebrated with so much thoughtfulness and anticipation. Every November 1, people go to various cemetery to visit their dead loved ones. They bring food and drinks and surely reunite with relatives and long time friends who visit at the same time. It is an occasion that you will see old faces you've missed. Everybody is busy with career, family and business so, it's really a chance to meet them as everybody takes slow and sit for a moment to recall all the family and relatives who have already passed over to the other side.

I recall, when I was young, my friends and I go to the cemetery every Nov. 1. If not together, we would just agree to meet at a certain spot, mostly at the grave of someone we know. We would light a candle and from there we roam to other graves and do the same. Many of our friends, relatives and acquaintances would offer food-"kakanin" as we fondly call it and known to be the kind of food prepared for the occasion. Sometimes, we would also hop houses of our classmates. It was my joyful recollection of All Saints/Souls Day.

As of the latter time, the grave of my lola Meling and my cousin Ate Cat were among the 'must be' graves to visit. My lola nursed me when I was young while my Ate Cat had been with us in most family occasions. I have happy thoughts of them and they will always remain in my memory.

This coming November 1, I want to visit Brod Toto Erle. He died 11 years ago in Iligan. The news came to us in MSU Gen. Santos while we were waiting to march for our graduation. We were shocked about his passing. The brods and sis who knew the incident gathered together at his wake. After that I wasn't able to visit him. We were roommates in the dormitory during our second year college. One time we discussed about death and who will be saved. There were things we didn't agree. He said that we will just know it when we die. Funny how we ended our discussion. In my mind a thought plays perhaps he now know the answer to our questions.

Death is certain. We don't know the time when and where we will meet our Creator. I've shared to Brod Erle this verse in the Bible : For God so love the world that He gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16 I have memorized this verse by heart. It makes all the difference in my life. Knowing that God is there, I'm sure that Jesus died for me and paid all my sins.

May this Halloween be not only an ordinary passing of event but a reminder that we are all like mist in the air. Anytime we can go to the other side. Be ready!

No comments: